FTP Client Error Message: ECONNABORTED

Your two sites are on different physical servers (I just pinged them), so I would be very surprised if it really works that way. Even if it did your neighbors’ kids still wouldn’t figure into the calculation. I have 5 consecutive IP’s so the first four thing would prevent me from having 10 FTP sessions open :smiley:

Two concurrent sessions is really limiting :frowning:

During the elaboration, the chap told me he was going to test ftping to the two sites. Not sure what he was doing, but he said he confirmed the limit of 2 connections from a single IP.

Two concurrent sessions is really limiting :(

I totally agree. Guess I will have stimulate the economy.

PS: I tried to see how WD handled the two-session limit by firing up WASP2 uploads, FileZilla directory listing, NexStorm uploads, etc. I think I have recovered most of the dumps. Time to reboot I believe.

You might want to look at getting two separate (Standard Plan) hosting accounts with www.e-rice.net, it’s very inexpensive and used by many folks on here (including me) so you can be sure it works well for WD/WDL and the template style sites. The domain registrations stay with godaddy, you would just change the Name Server information to point to e-rice.

WD’ primary ftp client most likely just retried when a connection could not be established. I am not sure about Clientraw realtime ftp. I don’t want to suggest there is something wrong here.

Good suggestions. I have emailed GoDaddy support. They are usually very good about responding within 5 or so hours. Will await something in writing and stop messing about.

While this has been going on, the ISP’s tech support crews (with bucket trucks) seem to have been busy tweeking amplifier gains(?). I have had the new cable modem COX provided for several days.

Additional Information:

I ran into one of the neighborhood kids I mentioned while she was waiting for the school bus. I asked her about the GoDaddy limits. She confirmed the limit of 2 on the cheapest hosting accounts. She thought for a second or two about the “4 places” in the IP address and said: “The guy probably meant the first four octets.” At that point the school bus came, so she had to leave. After some serious thinking, I understood what she said. The GoDaddy support tech had to be talking about octets, so the full IP address assigned by my ISP is what they check. (It is a little scary when kids are your most astute consultants on technical matters. At least she approved of my changing the default color scheme to silver. The black she recommended was a little too much for me. I wonder if I should consider some piercing. :roll:)

Back from the morning walk, I found the following response from GoDaddy (html converted to plain text and confidential info altered):

Our support staff has responded to your request, details of which are described below:

Discussion Notes
Support Staff Response
Dear suffieldwx,

Thank you for contacting Online Support.

There is a limit of 2 FTP connections from the same IP address to the same hosting server. We do not set a limit of how many different hosting servers you can connect to at a single time from the same IP. However, there may be a connection limit set by your ISP. We apologize for any confusion in this matter.

Please let us know if we can help you in any other way.

Sincerely,
Kristopher P.
Online Support Team

Customer Inquiry
Name : suffieldwx
Phone : (xxx) xxx-xxxx
Shopper ID : deleted
ShopperValidated:Yes

I wish to upload to my own AND another GoDaddy shared hosting account simultaneously from a single IP address. I understand I am only allowed 2 ftp connections to my own account. Does this mean I cannot simultaneously open 2 additional connections to the other account? In other words, am I limited to a total of 2 or 4 connections to GoDaddy ftp servers?

I got an answer on the phone but cannot quite believe I understood the answer. Namely, you limit ftp connections to 2 on these type accounts and only check the first FOUR places in the IP address. Is that correct? Thanks for your help.

If you need further assistance with this matter, please reply to this email or contact customer service at (480) 505-8877 and reference [Incident ID: 6513735].

Please let us know how we are doing by completing the survey located here (link deleted).

Thanks,
GoDaddy.com, Inc.

I am confirming with my ISP that they do not place a limit on the number of ftp connections. I know from downloading music that there were no limits previously.

Trying to get my head around the problems here…I can’t decide if the FTP problem is related to WD or Filezilla. What is the problem your having with WD? Is something not being ftp’d to your server? If so, can you cut’n’paste a snip from your ftplogfull.txt file that shows the error so we can see what’s happening…

That is a great question. I know I am getting confused, so I am sure readers of this thread might be scratching their heads. I’ll try and set the stage and provide the details you requested. Here goes…

There are two computers, A and B, on a local network. They are connected to the internet via a router connected to a single cable modem. The cable modem has a single IP address. In this case, 72.192.XXX.YYY. The young girl's comments reminded me each of the places in an IP address, i.e., separated by the period (.), is an octet. See below

Computer A is running WD and will eventually feed data to a test website Eketahuna Weather. Little else is opening ftp connections other than infrequent use of FilleZilla or when WD decides to spontaneously upload something with the Main Internet Switch OFF (discussed below). See [FZ Upload Log Extract.txt](http://beetlecat.net/posts/FZ Upload Log Extract.txt). Note the sequence of server disconnects.

Computer B is running WD and is feeding data to another website which I hope will someday not be in test mode. This site is SuffieldWeather.com. This computer is ftping via the normal WD ftp client and Clientraw Realtime ftp. Since it is in test mode, just about everything is set to upload every five minutes. Whatever ftp client WD uses to upload to Weather Underground is also active and uploading every five minutes.

At least one instance of GRLevel3 is uploading to the website. In addition, WASP2 and NexStorm are primed to begin uploading to the website if and when I can get out of test mode and have a stable installation.

When Computer B is active ftping, strange things happen as seen from Computer A, which is being used to create this post. See [FZ Log showing disconnect.txt](http://beetlecat.net/posts/FZ Log showing disconnect.txt). Note the errors and disconnects.

For an extract covering the time of the post of the Computer B FTP Error Log, see
[Computer B FTP Error Log Extract.txt](http://beetlecat.net/posts/Computer B FTP Error Log Extract.txt).

For an extract of Computer B’s Clientraw FTP log, see [Computer B Realtime Cleintraw FTP Log.txt](http://beetlecat.net/posts/Computer B Realtime Cleintraw FTP Log.txt).

The Main Internet Switch on Computer A has always remained OFF. However, there are WD agenda items that apparently fail to check the switch setting and spontaneously upload. See [Computer A SW OFF FTP ERR Log.txt](http://beetlecat.net/postsComputer A SW OFF FTP ERR Log.txt)

NOTE: Windy addressed the above and the issue is being resolved. I missed his reply. Sorry.

To further compound the matter, it is remotely possible there is something strange going on with the cable modem. For this reason, my ISP, has been working with me to track it down. That is the reason for mentioning the new cable modem. See Reply # 37, specifically:

I am trying to run checks on the router with some new software from Cisco, and I just updated the router's firmware to the most recent release. A different cable modem is being sent to me for testing by my ISP, COX. COX has been monitoring the number of resyncs the present modem is doing and found them on the high side. In addition, I am monitoring the number of internet connection losses with LELA running on the AVG Free system.

The history and rationale for firing up two test systems may be understood by checking out the Abnormal Exit thread. There are other posts scattered around the forums, but these seem to wind up in WD Questions.

I apologize that this is so convoluted. What I thought was a simple question regarding an ftp error message is leading to what might be important in understanding several problems and pitfalls

I got a ECONNABORTED error message lastnight using FileZilla. I think I got that error cause I was uploading a 19mb file to my webhost, then WD was updating my allday cam video at the sametime. I waited till WD was done uploading the cam video, then my first file went without any issues. Not sure If this is related or not.

What host is that?

To erice. Happend lastnight

The link to the ongoing FZ discussion thread is [b]Discussion Topic: It’s the server’s fault![/b]. It is long and has more than I want to know about ftp standards.

I gather though that one can use an older version of FZ, i.e, certainly older than FileZilla Client Version: .

Note added: This is the version I use on Computer A.

I would love to see if anyone using FileZilla and experiencing this error tried Core FTP and see if they can recreate with that FTP client…
http://www.coreftp.com/

Also any Mac users out there I found a Free Mac (those words don’t always go hand in hand) FTP client, Classic FTP, and would appreciate any comments on how it may work for you…
http://www.nchsoftware.com/classic/index.html

-Bob

I haven’t updated FZ in a while, what versions are you guys seeing this problem with?

Not sure what version I have, At work right now. But I think i can duplicate the error after work. If i get the error again, I’ll try what Bob mentioned and do the samething with the new program.

Download Test Results with CoreFTP LE version 2.1 build 1607: [CoreFTP Test.zip](http://beetlecat.net/posts/CoreFTP Test.zip)

CoreFTP was run on Computer A and the other logs were from Computer B running WD and uploading as described above. I have not studied the logs carefully at this point and will not for some time.

Nice looking program and did not disconnect/reconnect like FZ. I would have to study it since the running log is very difficult for me to see. In other words, I did not play around with the program. It is easy to change the font and point size of the log so OTs can read it.

Wish I had a Mac to try but under penalty of sudden death I cannot borrow the one on the kitchen table.

Thanks for the link to the FZ discussion, looks like my usual “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” policy has saved me again :lol:

A little additional information:

My ISP, Cox Communications, had tech support on site looking at the RF down and upstream portion of the system feeding this location to the fiber end. The only problem noted was that there had been a slightly higher than normal resync rate and higher RF levels being set by modems in my area. (I suspect tweaking the reverse amp in the bidirectional amplifiers in this area is the only thing needed.) I ran all of the above tests on a different cable modem. The old one looks perfectly normal and seems to meet their specs.

I just had confirmed that COX sets no limit on the number of simultaneous ftp connections from a given IP address. There are the usual bandwidth restrictions according to class of service, but I am not even close to the limits.

These two results seem to eliminate two possible explanations, but I will try some independent tests. It sometimes takes months for support staff to know what the system-level folks have done, figuring no one would notice a change.

Looking at the log files it appears that computer B is working ok with WD? The log file for computer A didn’t look like a WD log file. Is computer A having issues with WDFtp? Or is it just when using filezilla that the errors are generated?

To simplify, computer B is running WD and uploading files correctly. Computer A is having a problem ftp’ing files to another server, and, is not using the WDFtp program?

Did I get that right?

Most of the time everything is OK. However, there are intermittent problems. Yesterday, for example, a series of unknown events switched off testtags.php and trends-inc.html creation, plus a couple of other critical files needed for the basic Carterlake-style/AJAX/PHP-based website. However, the discussions in this thread have led to discovery of additional stress for WD running in Computer B; namely, the 2-ftp limit could be creating problems. On computer B, I see no clear indication of an ftp problem from the FTP Logs and the snippet of the Clientraw RT ftp log which is available at a given time. When a connection is not allowed, WD’s ftp clients seem to do what I think think they should. (Maybe you or other readers can find something I cannot.)

The log file for computer A didn't look like a WD log file. Is computer A having issues with WDFtp? Or is it just when using filezilla that the errors are generated?
Computer A is running WD and talking to the same weather station as Computer B. But while primed to upload to its website, it has not been turned on to do so. Why? Each and every step of the installation and setup of WD on Computer A has been documented as best as I could. Every bug in existing documentation has been logged, every unexpected behavior of WD investigated, etc. It should be ready to go. But if you search the forums, you find a constant steam of other issues that may or may not be relevant. Lots of folks are experiencing "intermittents" and encounter problems related to the templates and scripts. Many of these problems seem to be related to having WD consistently create and upload critical files. The problem is, it is not clear what has been done by the users. So many boxes to check, so many conditions to set, and so easy to make a logical mistake or a typo...

I was hoping to capture as many of the changes in settings and the webfiles directory as I can once WD was commanded to upload by turning on the Main Internet Switch. Before switch on, however, there were a number issues to explore. While taking care of these things, Computer A’s installation of WD is being monitored to see how it behaves without feeding the website. A number of problems have been reported already.

There are several purposes for this exercise. One concerns my impression that WD is essentially a black box. It is a fascinating black box and does nice things once working, but discovering how it works is akin to playing a game like SPORE. Were it not for the base of experience and the willingness to help and share by all the folks on these forums, WD would suffer enormously. In fact, the tipping point in maintainability could be approaching, no matter how skilled and conscientious the developer.

What does this have to do with your question? I want to try and produce a step-by-step protocol for going from the initial installation of WD all the way to havng basic working Carterlake-style/AJAX/PHP-based website. Again, why? Producing and debugging documentation seems to be a critical part nowadays in debugging software. When you try and produce systematic instructions, you perform systematic tests that should be more reproducible. But as I am finding out, understanding both the initial conditions and outside influences is not so simple. I am also decades out of date, and what little I once may have known is long forgotten.

To simplify, computer B is running WD and uploading files correctly.
Almost, as explained above.
Computer A is having a problem ftp'ing files to another server, and, is not using the WDFtp program?

Did I get that right?

Almost right. I used Computer A to 1) demonstrate the ECONNABORTED error and 2) run other tests as suggested by readers of this thread. Again, Computer A is just cocked and waiting up fire. Now I know I need to increase the number of ftp-connections permitted on its website to eliminate potential problems.

Re the initial question: My guess is that the FileZilla development team is in a standards war. If you have an older version of the program and it works, Niko’s suggestion of not fixing it until it’s broken is a good one. SourceForge may even have older versions you can download. I have not checked. CoreFTP looks like a good alternative. Without all of the ECONNAORTED errors, it seemed pretty fast to me. The standards gurus may say it is, however, not complaint. That is not my problem.

Hope this helps explain things. Thanks for the questions. They helped me try and figure out why I am mucking about so much…

Ok, I think I understand. I don’t want to get into troubleshooting filezilla. If you were having a WD issue I would be glad to help troubleshoot those types of problems.

I want to share that setting up WD and getting it running smooth is not as simple as installing and turning on the green button. There will be timing issues that need to be adjusted so that WD is not trying to accomplish too many tasks at the same time. It does require some trial and error to get the load spread out to allow WD to run like a fine swiss watch.