Feature Suggestions for Weather Display Live

I have two ideas…

One is I guess a WD issue,

Please ad the date to the live flash .It can replace the time when the
page updates with the image then flicks backi nto the time…

I think these graphs are awesome for the wind…

What I think would be very cool is …you click on say GRAPHS…

and window opens up with multiple graphs (custom setup).the window
opens up and replaces the main screen nice and neat then you hit CLOSE
and you back to the main screen…

Now I understand speed and memory is the beauty of this product over
WXFLASH… But having say two other graphs as well to a bigger window
would be awesome!

SEAN

I have two ideas....

One is I guess a WD issue,

Please ad the date to the live flash .It can replace the time when the
page updates with the image then flicks backi nto the time…

But having say two other graphs as well to a bigger window
would be awesome!

SEAN

yes the date needs to come from WD as otherwise, if the clientraw file was not updated for whatever reason, the date would be wrong. I’ll ask Brian.

What graphs would you like to see?

Julian

I am very satisfied with the current look and configuration of Weather Display Live.
The current look is clean and uncluttered. Looks very nice.
I use Real Time Weather and WD to display my web cam view.
WD has enough graphs for me. If I like to view more than what is in one browser window at one time I open two browser windows and reduce the size of the browser windows. That is what works for me.

I think Julian Best has done a great service by developing Weather Display Live and making it available to us.

New and improved is a way if life today but I think we are doing software developers a disservice by constantly asking for more in a current program.

here is a possible solution:
you can actualy add anything you live to the flash page, using html
just add the html code after the

and then set width and height of the to say 80% to allow room underneath for images/links etc
(i.e to addd a web cam image, just add html code to show that image
e.g

and you could add links to graphs that WD produces as well

I don’t think people write software ,sell software, not to hear input…
If that were the case Brian would still be on version say 2.0 with WD…

As for not caring about accuracy…why even bother with any weather software…???

As for options… Im just throwing out ideas…There are many people that own both WD and VWS any maybe others out there that Julian could tap into.
He has a great looking flash design and I really dont want to see too many upgrades to slow things down. I thought maybe having a personal link in the flash or more than one graph opening in a window could be an addition down the road…
But first there are errors with the inches 0.00 and font and bold type issues when resizing…as well as the up down arrow that gets covered when pressure are falling and rising…
There also at times seems to be a loading issue when you view other sites using this flash after you see your own page… even when you click ctrl f5

Im not knocking but when the developer asks for comments to be made in the forum i give my 2 cents…and so do you i see…

here is a possible solution: you can actualy add anything you live to the flash page, using html just add the html code after the

and then set width and height of the to say 80% to allow room underneath for images/links etc
(i.e to addd a web cam image, just add html code to show that image
e.g

and you could add links to graphs that WD produces as well

When I changed the %size in the index.html file the result looked good when viewing in MSIE but when viewing in Mozilla 1.6 changing the %size does not affect the view. Any HTML code may be entered below the but to view the added items using Mozilla 1.6 I had to scroll down.
Looks like a Mozilla quirk to me.
Viewing the changes to the index.html file I tried using HTML-Kit editor the Mozilla view was really strange.

I think MS has convinced most developers to design software using MSIE. That is another reason to have an aversion to MS.

Looks like a Mozilla quirk to me.
I would say an MSIE quirk. Mozilla, seems to follow the offical guidelines much more strictly than IE does. IE trys to make anything work, while mozilla trys to make things made strictly work. Both have their advantages.

maybe try not having the 80% in " ?

I really like the simple look of the live screen. I have been able to add it to my web page using frontpage, adding things above and below the flash screen. Somehow, when I applied my theme to the new page, I even got it to be a transparent background.

One thing I would like to see as an enhanced feature to us poor folk on the wrong side of the Atlantic, is to see Inch and Fahrenheit scales with ticks at normal units such as .04, .03, .02, rather than .036, .032… etc. Of course that would require re-scaling the “mercury” in the tubes, if you know what I mean. If you notice, when you change the units for wind, the scaling is clean and the pointers move to the converted reading.

Of course, this is just a suggestion.

BTW - Now that it seems that I have gotten the display to work, my registration is on it’s way.

Again, this thing looks great, and the fact that Julian is designing and developing this “with us” like Brian has with WD fantastic. :smiley:

i can see one problem with the oF scale…
its not linear…so its hard to design ticks like that…
life would be so much simpler if the USA joined the rest of the world and used oC,etc…but i guess hell will freeze over first?

LOL

but maybe julian can pull a trick out of his bags of tricks over the weekend?
(but somehow i doubt it ?)

... life would be so much simpler if the USA joined the rest of the world and used oC,etc....but i guess hell will freeze over first?
[b]Yes it would be much easier if the USA changed to the metric system[/b]. I don

Stop picking on us old people!

As a person with a degree in engineering, I was hoping, against hope, that we would convert! People get so hung up trying to convert back and forth. If we would just do it, it probably would take a couple of months to totally forget the old measurements. Instead of worrying how many pints are in a liter of Coke, we just go out and buy a 1 or 2 liter bottle now. No big deal. No body is complaining. My car has a 4.8L engine in it. When I was younger, a friend had a Chevy 409. The other day I converted that to liters and was surprized. However, my neighbors wouldn’t know an inch from a couple of cm to save themselves. They are the ones who look at my weather station… (I hope)

Actually, if the scales for inches (rain) went from 0-1, 0-10, and 0 -100 inches just as they go from 0-1 etc. mm, and the bar inside was just displaying a number, which got converted before it was displayed, it might just work. Then, when it got to 1 inch, it would switch to a 10 inch scale. For when Julian gets bored with his day to day job… :lol:

Actually, if the scales for inches (rain) went from 0-1, 0-10, and 0 -100 inches just as they go from 0-1 etc. mm, and the bar inside was just displaying a number, which got converted before it was displayed, it might just work. Then, when it got to 1 inch, it would switch to a 10 inch scale. For when Julian gets bored with his day to day job...

As you say this is what happens with the rainfall in mm. It would be very difficult with the temperature because of the non linear scale (even WeatherFlash takes the easy option like I did! :slight_smile: ) It might just be possible with the rainfall though - once I get these rounding problems sorted…

Julian

i actualy remember when NZ was new to metric, in my very early school days…i remember having stickers on the cars speedo…for km/h…over the top of the mph…
A school ruler is 30cm long, so thats a good guide,.,…
there is 2.5cm to 1 inch…or thereabouts

temperature in oC is easy…
0 is freezing…, 30 oC is getting hot, -30oC is real cold!

actauly, when i get told something is in inches, well, being a bloke, i just think about 6 inches in length…

Julian,

That version you sent me seems to be working great. I was running it at 4 second intervals last night and was facinated by the spinning dials, since we were having high winds all day.

Watching it, I thought that a great addition would be to display the actual compass heading below the direction dial. You don’t even have to convert units… :lol:

I couldn’t get it to fail to load. It really looks great. Glad to have helped.

On the metric thing…

A couple of years ago we had someone’s (high school) kid in helping with filing and odd jobs during her holidays. I asked her to order some paper, and a little while later I hear her exasperated on the phone almost shouting “I’ve got it in front of me and I’m measuring it right now, I tell you it’s eight inches nine centimeters wide”. When I investigated I found she was reading the whole inches off one edge of the ruler, and then looking at the cm scale on the opposite edge because there wasn’t a number at the half inch mark :cry:

Watching it, I thought that a great addition would be to display the actual compass heading below the direction dial. You don't even have to convert units...

I’ll add it to the list for the next version!

Julian

It would be easier on my eyes to have a little more contrast between the color in the temperature thermometer (liquid) and the uncolored part of the thermometer please.

TIA

The colour changes dependent upon the temperature. Is it a particular colour/temperature that needs more contrast?

Julian

The colour changes dependent upon the temperature. Is it a particular colour/temperature that needs more contrast?

Julian

Ok That sounds good. Leave it unchanged.
59 F