Hey Admin Chris, are you laughing at us yet?

What’s the price of petrol in the UK these days?

They purposely price it in Liters so that it won’t appear so bad.

Maybe if we price by the pint, we will think it’s not so bad.

How much is that bottled Poland Spring water by the gallon?

Wow. You have a memory like an elephant.

Poland Springs would be 1.72 a gallon purchased in 16oz bottles.
Diet Coke would be 1.77 a gallon purchased in 12 oz cans.

I don’t know why people get so made about gasoline prices, if the us gov didn’t give billions to the oil industry, the price of gasoline would be like $6 per gallon. Then maybe people would be angry enough to get more serious about alternative fuels or atleast fuel economy cars. :x :x :x :x :x :x My rant. :smiley:

Or just do what I do. Diesel is like $.30 cheaper. Just use it. I am sure my car can take either. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Diesel is like $.30 cheaper.
Is it in Ohio? It's about the same price as regular here (the yellow price on that sign is diesel).
Then maybe people would be angry enough to get more serious about alternative fuels
That does it. I've got to get serious. I'm looking into cow dung. Hey Brian, got any?

I dunno about the U.K. but here it varies (sometimes within minutes between 86cents and 96 cents a litre. Diesel at the moment is about $1.
And about 60% of all that is tax in one form or another :cry:
Cheers

regular unleaded fuel prices vary in the UK as well depending on if you live in big cities or in remote areas or if you use motorway service stations. Diesel isn’t much cheaper and super unleaded is about 10p dearer. LPG fuel is half the cost.

Most often the price for me is 78p per litre.

Coverting to dollars at the current rate of 1.82 that works out at about $6.30 per gallon (UK) - as the US gallon is about 80% of a UK one that would work out at $5 per gallon approx

so UK fuel is at least twice as expensive as US fuel.

:frowning:

hence not so many gas guzzlers over here!

I drive a hybrid car (dual power - petrol/electric) - Toyota Prius - helps get more miles out of a tank. Need it at our prices.

Isn’t the tax system in Europe and England different than the US. Yes, we tax gasoline, but it is a road tax…for roads. We have other taxes such as property taxes that other countries depend on gasolone for the tax money and hence gas taxes in Europe raise the price substantially more than the US. The point being we don’t depend on petrol to support things that Europe does, but our govt gets the money in other ways! My property taxes are relatively low at $1.00/SF each year! Then two income taxes, sales taxes, and more, geez, my gasoline should be free!

Also, don’t forget the difference in just SIZE. In the Western US it is not unusual to have to drive 100 miles each way just to get to work everyday(something we do much more than other countries BTW). I average 2500 miles every month just in my job! And then fly and rent too. Public transportation is primarily inner city here, if it is at all.

Done ranting…but glad it’s off my chest. Now, got to get to work.

I drive a hybrid car (dual power - petrol/electric) - Toyota Prius - helps get more miles out of a tank. Need it at our prices.

Do you have the current model, or the original one? They are very popular here. How long is the battery supposed to last, and do you know the replacement cost?

Isn't the tax system in Europe and England different than the US.
Good points but you overlooked the taxation cost of providing a comprehensive welfare system. Most, if not all, European countries have government sponsored unemployment, retirement and health benefits that far exceed what we have in the US.

Do you have the current model, or the original one? They are very popular here. How long is the battery supposed to last, and do you know the replacement cost?

It is the previous model - bought in 2002 - I don’t know if I will upgrade to the 2004 model or later as trade in values are rubbish at the moment from dealers and it is running fine so will drive it as long as I can :slight_smile: Fuel consumption is excellent.

I think the battery is supposed to last 7 years in my model - replacement cost at the moment is several thousand pounds for the battery - although the bumper to bumper warranty should cover any failures in the warranty period.

“I think the battery is supposed to last 7 years in my model - replacement cost at the moment is several thousand pounds for the battery - although the bumper to bumper warranty should cover any failures in the warranty period.”

Wow. several thousand pounds, and rubbish for trade in, then where’s the savings?

In the US, rule of thumb is 30,000 miles per year to make up the difference in cost of a diesel engine over gasoline. That’s lots of driving, none of which is in silence.

If you want to know how bad it is here in the UK...

I pay an effective income tax rate of approx 28% of my salary.

I pay National Insurance (tax with another name) of approx 5% of my salary. National Insurance is supposed to cover things like state pensions, but it’s reckoned that by the time I get old enough to have a pension anyone with more than

I think the battery is supposed to last 7 years in my model - replacement cost at the moment is several thousand pounds for the battery - although the bumper to bumper warranty should cover any failures in the warranty period.
I think we could just about shoehorn the dog into the cargo area of the new one, so I was thinking it might work for commuting. The whole issue of uncertain resale value is what puts me off, I'm not sure anyone will buy it after say 5 years when they are facing a battery replacement bill probably close to the value of the car.
In all the UK Tax Freedom day (http://www.taxfreedomday.co.uk) falls on 11th June this year. That means that I pay everything I earn from the 1st January until 11th June to the government as tax. From the 11th June onwards everything is mine. Actually that's probably wrong. As a higher rate tax payer (not difficult...there are millions of higher rate tax payers) my Freedom Day probably falls later still. As a comparison, in the UK it takes 148 days to pay all your taxes and in America it only takes 123 days.

:big14:

8O Why don’t you tell us how you really feel?

It’s hard to make exact comparisons but I think the freedom day thing may be driven by the VAT since that’s the one rate that’s sky high compared to the US, the income tax rate is comparable to the average here, national insurance (social security) is lower than here, property tax looks lower, capital gains is higher.

Wow. several thousand pounds, and rubbish for trade in, then where's the savings?

The trade in is rubbish at the moment because hardly any people have been trading in their old models as they like the car and wish to keep it as long as possible - even though a newer model is out now. Dealers tend to go by something called the Glass’s Guide in the UK - a publication listing suggested trade in values for all vehicles (except the Toyota Prius at the moment!) It is an interesting car to drive due to the technology.

Battery failure is something people aren’t thinking about at the moment and we can always extend the warranty which would cover battery problems. It is envisaged that in a few years time the battery replacement costs will have come down anyway - we just have to wait and see.

Other savings from the car are obviously gained from the fact you fuel up less compared to most other cars (average MPG for mine is 50 currently). Also in the UK the car attracts one of the lowest Road Tax costs because of the minimal carbon monoxide emission levels. The engine does not run in slow or stopped traffic for example.

are you making fun of my gas guzzling SUV? Actually in Iowa the price is determined by the amount of fuel oil reserves or that amount sold. I suppose someone here uses fuel oil, we use "natural " gas.

There is something else I wonder about “natural” Natural foods, Natural Gas, College of Natural Sciences. Makes me wonder if there are also Unnatural foods, Unnatural Gas, College of Unatural sciences.

Obviously there are a lot of questions I have… Well this is fill the vehicle day - 1.68$/gallon. A few more pints of blood donated and Ido have that remaining Kidney and I can fill the tank .

...There is something else I wonder about "natural" Natural foods, Natural Gas, College of Natural Sciences. Makes me wonder if there are also Unnatural foods, Unnatural Gas, College of Unatural sciences....
Natural. As I told my naturalist son,