My home made solar radiation shield for WMR-968

Hi all,

After reading all the posts in this forum, and seeing how inaccurate my daily temp readings were with solar heating sending them about 4 - 6 degrees C above real temps, I decided to build my own, fashioned after the great ones I saw here.

Imediately after finishing the shield, I placed it on the hot back deck and the temps fell to within .5 degrees of the readings for shade!.
The unit has 2 solid plates on top and 2 on the bottom (bottom got the extra one mainly because I had a spare lol)

Here are 3 pics.
First is of the construction about half done with the temp probe wired in place using copper grounding wire to the threaded rods.
Second is with 7 of the 12 plates in place. The plates were acquired at a dollar store for about $3.
I used the tubing in the foreground for spacing between the washers that support the plates (fins) on 5/16 threaded rods. The hole in the centre is about 3 1/4 inches across. Fins are ~10 inch plates.

Third is the finished product on a 6 foot supporting 2 x 6 anchored with 2 tree supports (3 " angle iron.) No paint yet but will when warmer weather arrives, will be all white. I left some room to mount the Rain gauge, and now that the temps are consistent will also mount my solar in a jar sensor and try to convert into a cloud sensor as well.

Many thanks for all the great articles on this forum about solar shields etc., I would never have attempted this without those instructions and advice, as I am a dunce with tools.

All the best,
Jim

Third pic

Looks great to me. Are the plates just regular plastic dinner plates?

Yup! just the Dollar store variety. My daytime temps in sun have dropped by 3-5

Hi Jim,

Nice work. I am having similar problems with elevated daytime temperature readings and was investigating the shields when I came across yours, and others here on the forum. Looks like I’ll be doing some shopping soon!

Paul