Chimney mount anemometer mast in lightning prone area. Advice please??

I have been told by a friend who works at the electric co. that the last house on a line is prone to get hit more than other houses. My previous house was one of these lucky houses. We were hit twice in 7 years. I had an antenna that was grounded the first time and the charge went down the ground wire. Unfortunately it jumped through my phone line and killed all the phones also taking out a computer that was connected by modem.

So I took down the antenna figuring that maybe it was drawing the lightening. Then a few year later my Dish got hit and took out a TV.

I built my current house on the lot next door. Last January I put up my weather station. In July it got hit. I thought that because I ran 30’ of wire to the hydrosensor and another 50’ of wire to the house that the charge would have been dissipated before getting to my computer. Wrong! Lost the weather computer, the weather station, and a LCD monitor.

I have thought about mounting my equipment on the house, but with my luck I won’t chance it. If I get hit again, I will buy a good wireless station with more range than the one I have.

I agree.