Updated READY data collection script

I have been working on the script created originally by Jim McMurray and subsequently modified by me and hopefully now this will work properly with the new NOAA web page and allow for the language changes needed if not using English.

Please note that this script cannot be fully automated as the NOAA website uses Captcha images which needs to be entered manually by yourself when running the script.

To use this script to obtain READY data for your location you need to do the following:-

1. Install AutoIT V3 from this website. When installing the program make sure you select the default option for .au3 files as ‘Run the Script’.
  2. Take the attached script and rename it to have a .au3 file extension, this can be placed anywhere but I place it in the WXSim folder for convenience.
  3. Before running the script please take some time to read the instuctions at the start. You have to edit the customisation data for your location and enviroment and location. It is best to use the editor provided with the AutoIT program. To edit right click on the script file and select ‘Edit script’.
  4. Change the values for Latitude & Longitude, these have to be in decimal format.
  5. Change the values for the File path and File name. It is important to ensure the File name does not have the .txt extension if you have Hide Known Extensions set in Windows folder options.
  6. Now check the Model value. READY data comes in two flavours, 84 hours or 180 hours, set to 1 for 84 or 2 for 180. Normally I use 2.
  7. Some users have a need for MAPS data (USA only I believe) so if this is required edit this section, otherwise leave it alone.
  8. If you have an English language based system and use Notepad then no more changes are required.
  9. If foreign language support is needed then you have to change the key combination variables. So for example if your language uses say Ctrl o to select all data in the editor then change this value to “^o”. Note that the ^ character has special meaning for the AutoIT script and must not be changed.
  10. Save your changes and run the script to check out that it works. You can run it from the SCiTE editor using the F5 key, or double click on the script file name.

Let me know via this thread if you have any problems or questions. I believe Tom Ehrensperger will make this script available with WXSim as a back up for any future circumstances where GFS is not available from the Weather-Watch server.

Stuart

ready_data.txt (10.6 KB)

It ran like a dream Stuart.

Nice work. :thumbright:

Hi Stuart

Its working perfect - but im in doubt if all the data is in the readydat.txt file.

I have attached it here - would you have a look and see if its okay?

Thank you very much to you and Jim for all your work on this script.

Best regards,

Henrik

readydat.txt (8.29 KB)

That’s the same data that’s my file Henrik, if you look at the top then you’ll see the run time for the GFS, in your case it’s the 12z (12:00 GMT) for today. :wink:

Henrik thats fine, this data gets appended by WXSimate into the main input file for WXSim. This is why it is important that if you use READY data then you must turn off GFS in WXSimate or WXSim will get confused if it finds both types of data.

Stuart

I just found a small bug in the script if using the ConTEXT editor so I’ve uploaded a new version in the fist post in this thread. The change only affects users with ConTEXT, it is not needed if you use Notepad.

Also currently the script will fail if the NOAA site is busy and cannot process the Meteorogram request. I am trying to capture the screen which comes up in IE when this happens and put in some error recovery and clean up properly, however this error message is quite rare, I’ve only seen it once in testing. Its obvious if this happens and is not difficult to clean up the editor and IE windows left open manually but it is important that you do close any windows left open before trying to re-run the script.

Stuart

Hi Stuart

Great - thanks for checking the file for me.

Best regards,

Henrik

Great job Stuart, it works like a dream.

• Jim

I have been working on some error recovery for this script and have uploaded a new version. This will handle the case where you type in an incorrect access code and allow a re-try, it also handles (I think) most cases where the NOAA ARL site is too busy to handle your request and it will close the IE and editor windows cleanly, give a message to let you know what has happened and then exit. This should allow the script to be re-run cleanly at a later time.

Let me know if there are any problems…

Stuart

Hi Stuart,
i’ve red all steps of this guide.
But now, how did you know if this script works?
I’ve attached my script and the readydat.txt file.
Please let me know if there is an error or if it’s ok.
Thanks a lot,

Alessandro

N.B.
I’ve entered manually the data into readydat.txt this morning.

wxsim.zip (4.31 KB)

Hi Alessandro,

My readydat.txt is roughly the same as yours, although there are some minor differences at the top of the page (I don’t have the first two lines of text that you have).

When you start the script it will delete everything in your readydat.txt file so it has a clean file to write to.
Then it will open your browser and take you to the GFS data site, input your lat & long, then stop where you need to manually put the password into the box at the bottom of the page. Put in the password you see on the screen and press Enter, the script will continue until it’s put the GFS data into your readydat.txt file and then it auto-closes.

To see if it’s worked, all you have to do is look at the readydat.txt file in your wxsim program folder to make sure there is data in there.

Martin.

Hi Stuart,

It worked like a charm thanks.

John

Thanks from here too, Stuart.
I’d downloaded the script last time there was a GFS problem, but never got around to using it. Today I dug it out, and as jahuff says, it worked it like a charm. :wink:

Hi!
Unfortunately, when i started the script it opened only readydat.txt…and stop!
What can i do?
Thanks,

Alessandro

Are you sure you are using the latest version of the script, from the zip file that Stuart attached to his first post in this thread?
Try re-installing the files again as that’s what the old version used to do with me.
Also, have you installed AutoIT V3 onto your PC?

Uffff…nothing to do!
I’ve downloaded the script from Stuart, set it up, installed AutoITv3 on my pc…but if i click F5 button it opened only readydat.txt.
:frowning: :frowning:

I’m out of ideas then Alessandro, I think you’ll need to wait for Stuart to come on here and see if he has any ideas. :frowning:

Ok Martin, thanks the same! :wink:

Edit: 12.23: Wow! I’ve omitted txt extension and now it works perfectly. #-o
But is it possible to start this script automatically?
Because i have seen that the password typed manually.
Thanks again,

Alessandro

Glad it’s working. :smiley:

No, you have to run it manually because you need to type the password in, otherwise the script won’t proceed past that point.
You can get away with only running it once a day so it’s not really a problem and doesn’t take very long to complete.

So, this script is used only if GFS model data in Wxsimate is down?
Because i used wxsim and wxsimate automatically with windows schedulation program and this script is unnecessary for my usage.
Normally, when you use this script? Always or only if gfs model is down?
Thanks,

Alessandro