1-wire Fault after Lightning

Hi !!

We’ve has some newsworthy weather here of late !! http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/7700167.stm

With the lightning that accompanied all that rain and hail, looks to have damaged my 1-wire bus.

I have had a look with one-wire-viewer and it can see the USB host adapter, but nothing beyond that. Now, I don’t have a spare USB host adapter so will need to buy a new one from Eric, however has anyone else had this happen and if so, did all the modules also get damaged too ??

Do you think I need to replace the whole lot ?

Regards …

damian

It happened to me a couple of years ago. I only had to replace the USB adaptor. The rest of my 1-wire still functioned.

Since then I changed my wiring. I had a run of about 10 metres going over head. I changed that and put it underground hoping that might save it in the future. Since then we haven’t had a storm like the one that did the damage.

Yep, my USB adaptor went earlier this year after a very close strike.
I my case it also took out the lightning detector and the AAG anemometer at the same time.
The anemometer locked up the whole system, including WD, when it was connected to a new adaptor.
The lightning detector seemed to be fine but never really picked anything up again. It gave the occasional strike indication but it seemed to be random and never when lights were turned on in the house like it used too before the strike, so I’m not really sure whether it’s duff or not.
I’ve now only got a solar sensor on the 1-Wire system as I managed to find a second hand Boltek for the lightning. :smiley:

When I ordered the USB adaptor I got two of them from Eric, just to be on the safe side. :wink:

Sorry to hear about that.

Did you have surge protectors in the 1-wire network?

I don’t yet have 1-wire, but I have been reading up (e.g. Tim Bitson’s ‘Weather Toys’) and surge protection seems to be recommended - one near the adaptor, and another at the end of the bus.

The design in ‘Weather Toys’, and another I’ve seen on the net[1], are pretty simple ‘home made’ jobs - just a couple of diodes and a zener diode (and an optional resistor).

Remembering Martin/Budgie’s earlier loss I’d been thinking that I ought to include such things in my plans. Even more so now!

[1] http://pond1.gladstonefamily.net:8080/surge-protection.html

Hi everybody

I built a couple of these Surge protectors for my 1-wire system

We had a a bad storm last year, and the lightning was very close to the station
there was one instance when the lightning struck we felt a pulse of energy, going through the living room

There was no damage to any of the devices I certainly recommend fitting this types of Surge protectors
they are based on the same design from Philip Gladstone

Please see the following link for information, and the circuit boards. I made

http://www.weather-above.com/Surge.html

mick :slight_smile:

Thanks for the replies, I’ll give the surge circuits a go when I get a new Host Adapter from Eric.

With winter coming, must crack on with that 1-wire UV sensor !! got all the components, just need to get soldering and testing !!

damian

If the need is urgent, remember that there is Audon Electronics in Nottingham.
http://www.audon.co.uk/
Almost certainly more expensive, but also likely to be much quicker delivery. I recently purchased something from them and it was here next day by Royal Mail First Class Post.

Did I miss something? I don’t recall a 1-wire UV - but my 1-wire interest is quite recent…

No rush really, although the last order from Eric, the kit was here really quickly. I have taken the liberty to order the LCD kit whilst I was at it. It was on my list for 1-wire add-ons… looks like I’ll add it quicker than planned !!

There is’nt one available, but I designed and spec’d out one last winter, but then summer came along and I didn’t have any time to finish it. Now the weather’s getting cold … I can stay in and finish !!

damian

It will be interesting to hear how that goes. It looks interesting but I’ve tried (successfully so far) to exclude it from my initial plans…

That sort of scope for flexibility is one of the things about 1-wire that really appeals to me. :smiley:

OK, Excellent service from Hobby Boards as usual, and a box arrives at my door this morning with the new Host Adapters, and the LCD kit.

Have put a new host adapter on the server, and connected the Solar and Leaf wetness back up and all is well !! When it stops raining, hopefully soon I will wire the Soil depth temps and the Lightning sensors.

I have also taken the excellent advice on here and got the diodes to make a lightning surge protect circuit.

Thanks to all who took the time to reply !!

Lucid

Yes, after losing several adapters and 2 lightning detectors from nearby lightning strikes I added the surge protection circuits. Hopefully it helps. I should have done it years ago and saved $$. I guess better late than never.

Cheers

:smiley:

MikeyM

Hi, all,

for those of you who have had USB or Serial adaptors damaged or not longer work after a lightning strike, quite often the adaptor is OK, it is just the surge protection/EDS diode that had blown as they are designed to do so to protect you adaptor and PC. You can try ordering free samples from Dallas Semiconductor to replace the blown Diode (U4 on the circuit diagram http://datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/DS9490-DS9490R.pdf on page 5) a DS9503. The DS9503P+ has free samples available. If would also be a positive move to included these in protection designs noted in earlyer posts as a last resort protection measure to protect your PC.

As a group, it may be worth asking Eric from Hobby-Boards if he can design/develop a small EDS protection board based on the design design in the other postings. I would certainly purchase some to protect my hole network.

Regards
Derek
Stokes valley Weather

Derek, I think that would be a great idea. Hopefully Eric will see this post. Maybe even the possibility to incorporate into the boards.

Cheers.

:smiley:

MikeyM

Hi everybody

12 months ago I made a circuit board for protecting the 1 wire usb device based on Philip Gladstone circuit diagram
I have added to the board the RJ45 socket , I am thinking of adding two fuses one for the 5 V rail
and one for the 12 V rail, I may have the circuit boards professionally made it will be a double sided board
approximate size 50 mm x 30 mm there is another board that protects the individual 1 wire sensors I can also add
the rj45 socket which will make it easy to connect to existing system, open to any ideas about adding features to it

mick

0021.PNG

0022.PNG

0023.PNG

Some protection is probably better than nothing but a 1 wire bus connected to equipment at the top of a pole in open space means a big lightning attractor connected more or less directly to your computer.

The only protection that will work is a lightning conductor well above any instruments AND an RF head end unit transmitting the weather data back to your main computer. Power the head end from a battery trickle charged by a solar cell and the entire head end can float many kV above the main computer end. A direct strike will probably fry it though :slight_smile:

Next best would be a fibre optic connection

Third best would be opto isolation with a copper connection - 10kV isolation optocouplers are available

The next best is a copper connection with tons of surge protection

and finally a copper connection with no protection

I used to have access to test equipment that would prove the effectiveness of surge protectors - many didn’t work or were one time devices - sometimes you never knew they had failed until the next hit and the equipment exploded :slight_smile:

Hi,

I have work with Wind Farm Engineers for a number of years, the worst you normally get (apart from monitoring towers falling over) is an ESD down your wiring which Michael

Gidday Derek…

1-wire wireless aye? Now thats got some awesome possibilities!

I’d be very interested to see how you go with that development…

Seasons Greetings to you and the family by the way! :slight_smile:

Macca

Well done Michael - I had missed this topic and enjoyed the educating read!

Keep it up Wellingtonians - another interesting topic - wireless 1-Wire… sounds a contradiction in terms but great for 10cm soil temps and grass temps and leaf wetness devices etc…

Graeme

[quote author=StokesValleyWeather link=topic=35351.msg292855#msg292855 date=1227685373]
Hi,

I have work with Wind Farm Engineers for a number of years, the worst you normally get (apart from monitoring towers falling over) is an ESD down your wiring which Michael

FULL.PNG

Hi Michael, Excellent work, My suggestions are as follows:

Where you have the DS9503 is appropriate, however you may wish to include it in the other side (the USB Side) of the circuit to protect the USB/Serial Adaptor as a last resort protection measure.

I hope I am not miss reading you diagram, but if your supply is an 12V AC supply, I would recommend using a Bridge rectifier before your Voltage Regulators.

Irrespective of supply type you should include 4.7uF caps either side of the voltage regulators. I would recommend that your supply be a 15V DC supply (would be better) and you should even consider including 2 x 4.7uF Caps (or bigger 10uF) before the 12V Regulator for voltage smoothing.

I would also strongly suggest that your supply to the 5V regulator from the 12V regulator so it is not sinking quite as much current from the raw supply.

The other great things about your circuit, is that it can also be used as a straight ESD device to protect devices in the field with out the Voltage Regulators…

Can you supply a small box to house the circuit in?