1 Wire sensors under Linux

Can someone give a definitive answer. Is 1 wire supported under WDLinux?

Yves has written some libraries…
but, using the OWWfile, and setting that to create a certain formated data file, then WD can be set to read in that data in the linux version
(see forum member Stumpy for more info)

I agree with windy, it is better to use OWW. I am not proud of the stuff I have done ( mainly I use OWFS) and it is targeted to a different use ( iButtons ID,Temp, Humidity).

Thanks guys …
I have tried to install owfs onto a server here with little success … openSuSE v10.3, I get an error with a message saying owfs not a known service. or something.
I might just resurrect an older P3 with DSL on it and have it running as a dedicated weather server.
I have a number of sensors that I wish to use, a couple of hobby boards,
thermo/solar/Humid
Baro, Moisture (Leaf)
Rain counter
Lightning counter
AAG v3 wind and thermo.
I have plans to build a soil temp sensor, some sort of seismograph, and a pollution sensor of some sort. I could always rat the sensor from the local councils array a few metres down the road … :lol:

So I like the 1 wire concept, where it is possible to build up your station, just plugging each sensor in.

Obviously this will all take time, as work is the priority as always …

regards to all.

I wanted to use wdisplay as it can ftp the clientraw files etc for my website at http://www.alpnz.co.nz/wx which is running at the moment with a weatherpro logginf sensor array on it, with a decidedly dodgy battery.

Perhaps I should modify that weather link as to a station with a dead battery on it :oops:

Hi

I use OWW for my one wire stuff alongside weatherdisplay which is doing all the website data, this has been up and running for over a year with no major headaches so I am a happy punter.

Regards
Steve

Great site … thats where I would like to end up. I have gone off the wdisplay live … although it would be a mission to write a script that would create the clientraw files … not impossible however. I have been wondering about this maani.us as an alternate fresh look …

Regards
John S

OK, Have tried this but not getting any sense out of it. Is there some sort of Howto in setting up how the LogFile is written to suit Wdisplay?

try this

in the .oww_setup file

logform $trhc1%3.2$ , $rh1%3.2$ , $dp1%3.2$ , $bar1%4.2$ , $wsp%3.2$ , $wdrdeg%3.2$ , $rain%3.2$

and

logvar /home/weather/test.txt (these are my current settings/file name change to suit)

this is a Howto I created

http://discourse.weather-watch.com/t/10561

Steve

Looking forward to your project Smitty!

TokKiwi

Got a couple of spare Hrs this afternoon, and its running here with 2 temps, wind, humid, and rain connected and running in OWW
I had a go last night trying the logfile stuff, but WDisplay showed itself getting records, but Data Quality etc stayed red.
Might get something to happen after the nice tea my 12 year old son is cooking at the moment. :?

Cheers

Update …
Yep its working, except that the temperature isnt showing in the panel. Its there in the logfile, but missing in WDISPLAY.

I have a moisture board, a baro, and a lightning counter. Where would they go in the logfile to be picked up by Wdisplay??.
Cheers all.

Hi

does your logfile look like this ?

13.12 , 92.94 , 12.01 , 1023.84 , 0.00 , 135.00 , 0.00

Steve

Do you have station selected as Dallas? In the M$ version, there are settings in Control Panel Com Port for one wire values to be used as main temp and main humidity…

HTH…

Graeme

Addendum #2

It reported temp, wind, humid, and rain OK. One observation is that there appeared to be a lot of disk activity. The server being used is a busy family one, running squid proxy, and mail, for about 2-4 workstations, so possibly asking a bit much of the hardware.

1 wire is finicky in that there is a lot of wire involved. Differing voltages to drive the sensor boards etc. E.g. "more than 14 volts for a Barometer sensor, kinda makes it a bit tricky feeding it through the Cat 5 connection. I personally think a simple solder board would be better to do the connections. I bused mine using a Telephone cat 5 patch board, cost about $40. I would not recommend it, as the click connectors are fussy. I will likely make the connections permanent using the solder board mentioned above.

At the moment owwnogui is running in daemon mode on the server, writing to a log file, as per Stumpey’s excellent help file.

So an interesting few hours this afternoon … work calls tomorrow, but I hope to get 14 volts to the Barometer, that will give a complete set of data for the logfile.

regards to all.

Sorry missed this one …
Yep thats how the logfile looks. Except that the value in the bar1 part is empty.

Just wondering Steve if I can pass other values to wdisplay, like the lightning counter, and leaf wetness sensor readings??. Also multiple temp sensors, like soil etc.?
Cheers

Good news! I think 14vdc is a minimum, the regulator will drop down from even 20 I think. I Have fed my solar sensor board with 9v unreg and it started off at 12v so that one is fine. You just have to set the external ps dip sw as a link, perhaps.

Lots of water under the bridge now … now theres an idea … some sort of river sensor …hmmm
Essentially I have bailed out to an XP box, as the Windows version has mature 1 wire support. The OWW file wasn’t going to cut it for the extra sensors I think.

Page is up and running. Note the faulty Barometer, Very steady readout for the last couple of weeks :smiley:

Many thanks to all for your help and support …