10:00PM Unscheduled Reboot

Hi Brian,

I have noticed Weather-Display dies, attempted to generate an error log file, and causes my computer to reboot at 10:02PM for the last 4 days.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

DaveH
Win2000 Pro, 512MB, P1.5GHz, WD 9.96d

under help,about, untick do this daily, next to the free memory button, if that is ticked

Brian,

O.K., unchecked “free memory at 10:00PM”. The WD “free memory” used to work but my computer has become more unstable since loading all the latest Microsoft security patch a couple months ago (I’m up to WIN 2000, patch #4). I added 256MB memory to get to 512MB thinking that might help but negative on that.

My guess is this a Microsoft memory mangement issue. I’ve watched the computer die and there seems to be plenty of CPU and memory resources availble immediately before the reboot.

Cheers,

DaveH
WD9.96d

i dont install MS patches…no need if you use a firewall/antivirus me thinks…and so i dont have any problems with windows 2000, LOL!

I don’t think you can blame patches. I’m completely up-to-date with w2k patches (applying them to all our PC’s seems to have turned into my hobby) and I don’t have any problem with WD.

What do you have running besides WD?

it takes me too long to download them on a 28k connection, thats the main reasong whjy
that WD memory auto free thing seems to have problems on XP or 2000

I’ve often wondered how it would be possible to keep up with the patches with dial-up. We got laptop back from repair recently, I wiped the disk and did a clean XP reinstall from the recovery disk. When I went to MS windows update there were 45 critical patches to download. By the time I had downloaded/installed the patches and zone alarm it had already been infected with a worm (welchia), my internet provider detected it sending traffic, shut down the IP it was on and sent me a nasty note. Moral of that story, install zone alarm from CD before putting anything on the internet.

I don’t use the memory recovery with W2K, it seems to do just fine by itself.

I don't think you can blame patches. I'm completely up-to-date with w2k patches (applying them to all our PC's seems to have turned into my hobby) and I don't have any problem with WD.
Me too. Are any other programs running? What browser do you use? :?

there is a possible related bug i am tracking down, that affects win 98 pc’s badly, where the program freezes for 1 minute every 4 or 5 minutes
which is really weird
it does not do it in the win95/nt version, which i still have the source code for, luckily

but of the error only occurs at the 10pm, then its likely to be the memory routine

Howdy,

I’m not totally certain on anything and don’t want to blame WD, but I can cause a WD shutdown and possible reboot (sometimes) by doing a “Free memory now”. This appears to be the source of my 10:00PM reboots.

I have been able to reproduce this reboot sequence when I open several applications like PowerPoint and Corel Photo-Paint (two big memory pigs). Again, the reboot usually commences with a WD shut-down error message.

Other applications I’m running:

• Zone Alarm Pro - software firewall (also hard router firewall)
  • Homewatcher - creates AVI files from webcam and uploads them to web server (this is a bit memory pricey)
  • WFTPD - FTP server for receiving files from webcam (Stardot NetCam)
  • Symantec Norton Anti-virus Pro

Even with these running, still have about 256MB memory free.

Thanks!

DaveH
Win2000 Pro SP4, 512MB RAM, P1.5GHz

I tested several times but couldn’t trigger a crash with the clear memory now button, running;

w2k / 128 meg
wd
zonealarm
norton AV corporate
win VNC

Why do you think you need to use the auto memory clear?

i do now that when an antivirus program checks files wd is working, that cuases problems
anyway, 9.97b is ready now (very soon), and it took me all day, but i finally managed to fix the program locking up for 1 minute every 4 minutes on some (mainly win98?)PC"s (I could duplicate here on my win98 pc)…
it was a component i added to check if connected to the internet or not, and i added it for the use for the real time svg ftp uploads…back in version 9.95…
it took me all day to find out it was the culprit!!!
ARGGH!!!

off to milk dem cows now, and then off to a wind farm generation meeting

Re: Free Memory…

I assumed I needed this since historically memory leaks have been an issue with Windows, etc.

DaveH

My experience is that w2k takes pretty good care of memory, certainly way better than W98 etc. I would suggest you try running without for a while and see how it goes. If you do need additional memory management then try using memturbo which has been recommended by several forum members. You can set it to recover at a certain level, rather than by time.

Thanks Nick, I’ll monitor the situation… made it through 10:00PM tonight!