1 wire UV Sensor

Doing a quick search on the internet here for UV sensors and came across this neat little device http://www.superdroidrobots.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=121. Now to me this looks like something that could possibly fit into a 1 wire system. I do not have much experience with 1 wire but this device has an output and appears it will give scaled readings (0-255). I have no idea if this could even work in a 1 wire system, but if it did what a great addition at a reasonable price. I figured I would bring this up and let 1 wire guys with more knowledge discuss.

It looks very sensitive - possibly far too sensitive.

Have you looked at UV photodioides?

I’m working on a 1-wire UV sensor at the moment, and have selected a UV Photodiode to use, and have prototyped the circuitry.

The main issue I have had with this project is the very small output of the UV Photodiode, compared with the inputs on the 1-wire chips. The amplification is fairly straightforward, but as with all instrumentation grade amps, they are not cheap. I decided early on that I was going to do it properly, and make sure it was accurate, else what is the point !!

Lucid

Yeah I just did a quick search on some UV photodiodes and some amps. I see what you mean about the pricing. Not terrible but not cheap either.

If anyone else is going down this road, any tips or places to look would be great before I get too deep into this.

hi everybody

I will try to see , if the work I have done with the UV1 Project which consists of a Oregon UVR 138 (Ultra-Violet) sensor
will interface with the one wire system

the data is as accurate as the device and data output resolution for weather display would be from 0.1
the device itself displays index 1 - 26 in the specification sheet

the existing project uv1 there is a offset which Brian has implemented in weather display
before I go any further with this project is anybody else interested

mick

You mean the UV TRON based board? If so that’s a good flame detector but completely unsuitable for a solar UV sensor. The UV wavelengths used to calculate human UV exposure are between 290nm and 400nm. If you read the UV TRON datasheet you will see “has a narrow spectral sensitivity of 185 to 260nm.”. It would be misleading and potentially dangerous to use this device to publish environmental UV data.

Thanks niko never even thought to look at the spectrum range. I guess I should of done a bit more research first :oops:.

Hello

I have talking to Lucid about the sensor he is building, but I’m also interested in whether the Oregon can be interfaced to the 1-wire system… It seems the UV sensors are more expensive than the Oregon, but I expect the home brew version might well be more accurate, as the Oregon is built for a price… but how accurate does it need to be… humm

hi

I think the Oregon sensor would be perfect, I cannot see any problems you can get a linear voltage out put
there are a couple of ways ,

if you have a look at the data Steve has comppiled , it is quite accurate with a small tweak in whether display software
it could even be spot on to the manufacturers specccifffication

Hello !
After 2 days of tests, here are the results for my UV sensor : http://www.valentinois.net/forums/weatherd/29467/uv.html

Until index 5, all is right.
After 5, argh…

Hello Michael,

Have you built an interface to the 1-wire bus for the Oregon yet?

I was going too use a hobbby boards moisture sensor
this way anybody with the one-way system with a good steady hand , could make it themselves
I need to order another UV sensor to work on this

have you had a look at Steves data

mick

Many moons ago Niko embarked on a UV sensor project that used the Labjack interface. I have a kit of parts sitting somewhere :oops: that was supposed to be interfaced to my 1-wire system.

Is it still alive and kicking Niko? I just logged into the project website and all the information is still there.

Looks like I’d better dig the bits and put it with the Lightning Radar job :?

Cheers
Colin.

Hibernating I would say. Mine worked well, the viewing angle was somewhat narrow (as expected). If you can find the parts (I think you have two sets) and want to build it I’m still able/willing to help as necessary.

Hi everybody

Should I proceed with this conversion for the 1 wire UV sensor ?
Is there anybody else working on a 1 wire UV sensor no sense doing this if somebody else has made more progress
I was thinking of using a hobby board, moisture sensor and interfacing the UV device to this
I need to replace my UV sensor so I could use the old unit to do some experiments
I am having good days and bad days, recovering from biopsy waiting for results
I would like to get this project completed before going on any treatment

mick :slight_smile:

Hi Mick,

I don’t think that the version that Niko devised (and I have 2 sets of parts for - somewhere) was that much ‘advanced’ in so far as the 1-wire interface goes, and as Niko said it’s hibernated for a while now. It was basically just the UV/Solar sensors with appropriate op-amps to produce DC outputs. I certainly hadn’t got as far as deciding how to interface it to my 1-wire net, but the same method as the solar sensor (1-wire battery monitor DS2438Z) seemed like one way to go. I’m not sure if WD already has the capability to take a 1-wire sensor as the UV sensor and plot it ?

I haven’t found where I carefully put the parts for safe keeping yet :oops: but I’m happy to help in any way I can. Niko’s circuit diagrams and the sensor information are still available and I’m sure he will be glad to let you know how to access that info if you would like to.

Cheers
Colin.

Hi Mick

I for one would be interested in the 1-wire interface to the Oregon UV sensors. Your work has been great. Reminds me of my tinkerings about 40 or more years ago. Keep up the good work.

Cheers

:smiley:

MikeyM

Hi
Hi everybody

I’ve worked out how to connect the UV sensor to the 1 wire network
as soon as I finished my lightning radar project, I will start testing sometime next month

Hi all,

I am certainly keen on building some sort of 1-Wire UV Sensor from scratch. Am considering purchasing a Oregon UVR 138 as a first step with the possibly converting that to a 1-wire if someone could give me a Circuit Diagram of one.

The other thing I was considering was using (as Mike above) a 1-wire battery monitor DS2438Z and either using the VSense+ input or the VAD depending on the output of UV sensor and the Opamp circuit. Anyone got any preliminary designs that would consider sharing?

I did find the following UV sensor and circuits which is a starting point. http://www.kyosemi.co.jp/product/data/en/KPDU34PS1.html

As I have only basic Electronics knowledge, would anyone consider collaborating with me on this? The only issue I see then would be calibrating it accurately.

Colin, I would be keen to talk to you on the phone to see what you have.

Thanks.

Cheers
Derek C
SV Weather, LH, NZ

Hi everybody

I am currently working on a instruction sheet how to convert the UV sensor for the Oregon weather station
so people can have a go themselves or find somebody to do for them

I will also add a page with my suggestions for the 1 wire UV sensor

I will also suggest how to calibrate the unit in whether display

I’m hoping to have all the photographs and instructions completed by the end of this month

Hello Mick,

That sounds good, will be watching.