modify bucket to 0.1mm

There is a picture on the 1st page i think Henrik, maybe the second page, but its there :slight_smile:

Yeah that is from WD, If i remember correctly for moderate rain its about 3mm per hour,
thats what it was reading 2 days ago when it gave about 19mm

I have not had any serious bursts that know of so i cant really say how it copes, i will
keep an eye on it though

Hi Simon

Ups - sorry - didnt see :oops:

Best regards,

Henrik

No worries, i dont care as long as ya dont laff at the size of the funnel pmsl…

Hi Simon

I would never laff of your rain bucket.

…and when that is said:

My wife would never allow me to modify my rain bucket - shes angry enough of all “those ugly things planted on our house” :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Have a nice evening

Best regards,

Henrik

Yeah i get that as well, more so when i say to use a soft ball in the garden in case the
kids kick it and knock sommat, goes goes off on one then pmsl…

You too have a good evening :slight_smile:

Hi, Please finds attached a spreadsheet that will help with calculating the new Rail fall in mm or assist in recalibrating your rain gage when you increase the collection area.

The Recalibration (and check) formula is on the left of the page and the Recalculation of Rainfall is on the right side. Enter only figures into the boxes in red. The sheet is unprotected to you can see the formulas used if you so desire.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Derek
Stokes Valley Weather.

Raingage.zip (5.31 KB)

Thats brilliant Derek thank you very much, Perhaps a Mod could make your post a sticky
i will report it and ask them for you, that will help a lot of folks :slight_smile:

btw, it was spot on for my new tip :wink: Thanks again

EDIT: Thanks Brian, I have added a link to my 1st post in this thread to the post above :slight_smile:

Hi all,

Thanks for the positive feedback. I based the calculations on information that I had read previously to calculate the rainfall over the given area and I have confirmed these figures with my own Rain Wise gage from Hobby-Boards.

Glad I could be of assistance as I have read so may post on the issue and wanted to clarify how to correctly calculate the rain fall when you have modify a bucket gage.

Regards
Derek Chapman
Stokes Valley Weather.

We have had a little heavier than normal rain today and thought i would share
as some thought the modification might not handle anything other than normal rain.

Well today it looks like ti handled it quite well, you can see this in the graph, i aint
had any errors from the rain gauge on the console as yet, in one part it went from
6.7mm to 8.0mm in one foul swoop lol so it looks like the gauge records the tips and
stores it untill its sent to the PC at the next interval, i didnt know this i assumed it just
sent 1 tip at a time but evidently not :slight_smile:

Anyway, heres the graph from today, still raining btw

WD recordng multiple tips in a minute shouldn’t be a problem and 3 tips in a minute sounds not unreasonable for the gauge to handle, the ‘worry’ is that with 0.1mm sensitivity tip quantities might arrive so rapidly that the sensor itself doesn’t record them (either because the electronics might require a finite time to process a tip and reset, or because the bucket mechanism it self couldn’t work fast enough not to spill some water unmeasured).

The only way to be sure would be to have an alternative gauge for comparison - but the alternative gauge would of course need to be quite sensitive itself to notice the odd few 0.1mm of rain going missing! :lol:

I suppose with that respect i will never know, whats the odd 0.01mm between friends lol
I know think i will miss that odd one slipping astray, what i dont know wont hurt me i suppose :slight_smile:

Hi skyewright,

Did the Spreadsheet sheet work for you?

I think you will find that WD reads the rain gage sensor every 5 - 10 seconds or so, possibly ever second. It is entirely conceivable that you had two bucked tips within one second depending on your collection area and how heavy the rain was. If brian reads this post he may be able to confirm.

Regards Derek.

I think you mean ‘Bashy’. :wink:

The WMR928 OS rain gauge transmits data around every 45 seconds or so.

But does the rain gauge actually store any tips before the transmit, like the wind does?

Yes. If it didn’t then with one transmitt every 45 seconds or so it would not be possible for it to report anything like the maximum rates and amounts quoted in the manual.
With your 0.1mm mod, you’ll certainly have had cases where multiple tips have happened and been reported in a single transmit cycle.
I understand that the data transmitted is something like a rate and a cummulative total.

With your 0.1mm mod, you'll certainly have had cases where multiple tips have happened and been reported in a single transmit cycle.

But then if it stores the tips until transmit, surely any multiple tips would be stored and transmitted
I know this to be the case looking at some of the previous graphs… I have added a graph below to
show you what i mean, you will see what a multiple tip looks like, (see arrow) you can see the difference
between a single tip which is a smooth ascent of the rain line but where the arrow is theres a vertical
climb, this is telling me there was a multiple tip for that transmit as it jumped more than normal

Am i making any sense lol?

2008-07-23_181912.gif

Err, yes.

Yes.

There is no doubt at all that the sensor can handle multiple tips in a transmit cycle.

The question is how many it can cope with in a transmit cycle (on the assumption that it takes the gauge a finite time to process a tip and recover itself ready to process the next one).

You are making sense. Am I? :lol:

Yep you are, just lol

I think the only way to find out is to manually tip it and see what it produces and at what point
max’s out, thinking about it, wont the console tell me when its maxed out?

I have modified my WMR968 rain gauge , and it works! :smiley: I went from the factory 1.0mm(.04") per tip to a new rate of 0.155mm(.006"). For the people like me that use inches… I basically took my 4"Dia(100mm) rain gauge and added a 10"(254mm) funnel to it.(numbers rounded for simplicity) Got my first rain minutes after it was set up! WOW! What a difference! I don’t know why everyone doesn’t do this! I saw my first ‘tip’ soo much sooner, and you can see a much smoother rainfall rate. I guess I’ll just keep searching for the elusive plastic 12" funnel. Then I can get right in there with 0.1mm(0.004")

Elusive?