What flavor of Linux are folks running?

Now you guys have done all the hard work :smiley: I was thinking of trying Linux and WD. I’ve spent 15 years trying to forget anything I ever knew about Unix (I still have nightmares about Vi) so this may or may not be fun.

Could I get some recommendations as to what version of Linux I should go for? What I would really like to work up to is having WD and a Samba server on the same box.

I am thinking not linux, but any of the BSDs(Open, Free, etc…) would be good, but would require a lot more manual working. BSD is super fast and super secure so that would be great for a server and there shouldn’t be any problems getting WD to run. I use user friendly Mandrake Linux because I am not that smart in open source os.

Ah, funny you should mention BSD because I happen to have acquired (but not yet touched) a FreeBSD box but I had assumed that I would have to go linux for WD.

Mandrake here also on the weather computer and Suse on my laptop.

I think Freebsd would work, i thought there were a couple other people using WD, doing so on BSD. I was planning on installing on openbsd within the next month (have a computer acting as a server for my home, it is running Openbsd, so planning on installing WD on it since always on).

:idea: Maybe I should try now since I seem to be having worse problems than everyone else under mandrake. I will keep you in touch for any problems i have.

Chris

:arrow: RH is going away after the first of the year. It is being replaced with something called “Fedora” I think. It will be the new “GPL’d” version (free) of RH Linux. RH will then be a strictly pay-as-you-go product. All RH prior to 9 are EOL JAN 1, 2004. RH 9 is EOL as of March I think. (In case any of this matters to any of you.)

I’m running Mandrake, Suse, and Xandros. So far, it’s run best under Mandrake, 2nd best on Suse, and not at all on Xandros. Mostly the problem is having too old a version of glibc. I tried updating it in Xandros, and it was a disaster. But Xandros 2.0 should be out soon, so I am looking forward to running WD in my favorite distro.

i prefer freebsd over anything, and i tried to get it working, i was unsucessful in getting it to work, fyi.

Bummer! I have a really happy little Free BSD box humming away under the desk for a couple of weeks now.

the rerason for that is the libraries, and the linux compatiability mode only is at versin 7.1 i think, it’s close. . on the oither hand depeding on how bsd skilled you are you could prolbably compile some libraries for it to use, i havnt looked intoto it that well

Hmm,

I am running it on SuSE 8.2, but it keeps chopping my images, so not sure that the reason thought, but if anyone has a clue why that is, a solution would be appreciated.

No, it is not just you jraubal. I am running Mandrake 9.2, and it does it to me too. Some people are not having many problems with lowing the screen resolution to 800x600.

Chris

I’ll give that I try to start with, it is an easy change to try…

I'll give that I try to start with, it is an easy change to try...

I’m running both Libranet and Lindows, which are flavors of Debian. The image chopping occurs with both, but I’m not willing to lower my res of 1024x768. Believe it or not, I use my computer for things other than weather display. :smiley:

Don’t know if it’s a Debian thing, but I can’t get WD to run from the KDE menu. I have to open a console window and execute it from there.

I just created a desktop icon, and use that under KDE.

~Chris~

Well, changing the res on the screen did not help at all, images still chopped off (and one that keeps moving of the screen resulting a black .png file)

So I am still without a real clue as to why I am not getting the whole images…

When I tried it a month or so ago, it didn’t work me either. However, it worked for a few, so worth a shot. :frowning:

~Chris~

With all the licensing stuff going around I am moving to Solaris for my non-windoze boxes. You can download the OS for free from Sun and actually get a license, and I think Sun is probably strong enough to weather the SCO storm.

Solarix X86 seems to be stable, though there is not the plethora of toys and games precompiled for it that you will find for the Linux variants. On the up side it is more secure and enjoys some security through obscurity as all the script kiddies don’t have Solaris boxes to ezperiment on.

Obsolete SPARC (real Sun servers) are cheap on ebayand elsewhere. You can pick one up for a fraction of the cost of an Intel box. If you look at them remember that the SPARC boxes have a true 32 or 64bit bus (depending on how old the box is) so the listed processor speed is roughly the same as 2 or 4 times the Intel processor speed (i.e. a 400Mhz SPARC is like an 800 or 1600 Mhz Intel).

atavar, this has nothing to do with WD, but what browser do you use under solaris? I am using(when I am using Solaris) netscape, and I have a lot of problems viewing php sites, such as this one.

Chris

Apologies to all for this venture off-topic, but I did want to respond.

Normally when I load Solaris I do not load the GUI. I use Solaris for servers and do everything either command line or from web-based management utilities (webmin is great). Why waste processor time driving a GUI for a server you almost never log directly in to the console for. Also, if not running a GUI you can remove the keyboard, mouse and monitor and console to the box from the serial port using a terminal program on the box you are running a GUI on. This reduces hardware clutter and electricity use.

When I do use a browser in Solaris I use the latest patched NetScape (not the one that shipped with the Solaris). Opera is also a very good choice.