Install Directions for first time Linux install

I’m now comfortable enough with WD in windows to install it on my Linux machine. A couple of questions:

1. It looks like I need to create a directory in my home/name directory called kyrlix. Is there something I need to install ahead of WD for linux in terms of an application?

2. How do I copy my settings in Windows to the Linux machine? Is it just the wdisplay.ini file? or more?

I really like this program. I’m converting over from Weatherview32.

Thanks
JP

No, the kylix directory was only in the early versions. Now, if you download the 2 files in the download, the proper directory structure will be made.
As far as transfering files from the windows version, you will need wdisplay.ini (rename to WDISPLAY.INI) and your log and data files for historical data. Be sure to set your permissions correctly after you copy them.

Thanks

JP

Well … I guess I’m a little slow. I installed the 2.2 version – this is my first attempt at the Linux version. From a terminal, I typed “sh GoWeather.sh”. All the file structures are now in place. To run the program, which command do I use? The instructions say “./GoWeatherD” which is a file that does not exist. I type “./WeatherD” and get an error while loading the shared libraries: libipworks.so.5: … : No such file or directory.

I can get it to run from the terminal by typing “sh GoWeather.sh”. Would appreciate any help.

Thanks
JP

Not that I know anything since in in your boat too!, but you run the GoWeather script each time. I use ./GoWeather.sh from bash. If you open the file with an editor, you will see that it checks if you are a root user, sets the where the lib files are and then runs ./WeatherD

oops Backed up one too many

Hello, Im trying for first time install on Slackware 9.0 system. Anyone have a procedure that has worked? I tried downloading and installing WeatherD-2.2.tar.gz but it errors on running GoWeather.sh.
Do I need the WeatherDlinux.zip file also. I’m pretty new at this linux stuff so it’s been slow going. I have run WeatherDisplay on Windows in the past and am registered for that, but dumped the Windows OS a few months back.

First extract WeatherD-2.2.tar.gz, that should create the wdisplay folder and some other files. Then download WeatherDlinux.zip and extract to both your home directory and your wdisplay folder. You will must likekly need to change the permissions on the weatherD files so you can run. Now the program should run.

Chris

Thanks for the relpy! Now when I try to run it I get the following error.
./WeatherD: error while loading shared libraries: libipworks.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I have changed permission on everything I can that is associated with weather display but I am missing something. Also, I see the libipworks.so.5 file in the deploy directory…
Any ideas what I should try next?

I use ./GoWeather.sh from the wdisplay directory

Thanks,
I tried that but got the same results.
My directory is /home/wdisplay. Is that correct?

The directory should be fine if you are root, if not home/username/wdisplay should work. When i deleted libipworks.so.5 the file affected was libipworks.so. Is that file in the deploy folder? If it is, i would delete the entire directory and reinstall, but that is just a thought.

Chris

Ok, it works, sort of.
After a complete delete and reinstall in /home/userdir, the program will now run.
But, it will not collect data from my Peet Bros. Ultimiter 2100.
I have confirmed that the weather staion- comm port (ttyS0)is working in minicom but I get a comm port error (comm1)in Weather Display.

After the program starts you may need to go to the com port settings and just select ok, even though it is selected to the correct com port. In the new version i thought it had been solved.

Chris

That did it, now collecting data fine business. Now if we can only get rid of the references to Windows and replace with linux nomenclature for ports, etc…
Thanks much for the help.
Mike

Somewhere Bill Gates and Steve Balmer are crying :cry:

Your welcome for the help.

Chris

I just downloaded the latest Linux version setup files. There is no GoWeather.sh in the main gz file, and WD will not run because it cannot find the libraries, which are present in the wdisplay folder. Can someone please post the GoWeather.sh script?
/Ian

Did you download the Latest executable file link, vers 2.9.? Extract this file to your home directory, and you wd directory. Then change the permissions on both the wdisply.ini in your home and wd directory to allow running, and it should work. You may want to look back in this thread, I think there are some more detailed instructions on the first page.:smiley:

Chirs

I downloaded

http://www.weather-display.com/download/WeatherD-2.4b.tar.gz

and

http://www.weather-display.com/download/WeatherDlinux.zip

which is on the main Linux download page.

The first contains only a bunch of library files, no shell scripts or other installation wizards. I extracted these files and changed owner, group and mode to make them executable.

The second contains a single WD executable binary. I extracted this according to the instructions on the Linux download page, and all posts I found in this forum.

There is no script called GoWeather.sh in any of these archives.

/Ian

I forgot about that…

After you change the permissions on the WeatherD, as you did, you should be able to run WeatherD by just double clicking on it. It should run just as the windows version.

I think that is everything.

Chris
:slight_smile: