vp2 usb driver update

I upgraded to the USB v5.0 driver found here

Driver: CP210x_VCP_Win2K_XP.exe (= VCP Driver Kit)

http://www.silabs.com/tgwWebApp/public/web_content/products/Microcontrollers/USB/en/mcu_vcp.htm

and it works flawlessly, perhaps a fix once and for all, for the davis vp2 usb hang/disconnect issue.

Using XP Pro SP2

Hi Dave,

I’ll give this a try; lots of problems with my USB logger suddenly stopping sending data to WD. Let me know if you encounter any future problems with the patch and I’ll do likewise.

Cheers,

Steve

this is a winner, lots of other great results reported by other people on other forums etc :wink:

This driver causes a Blue Screen of Death on some systems. I suggest you avoid it for the moment or be prepared for possible data loss and corruption!

Not only does the V5 driver cause lock up problems my AVG anti-virus scanner has shown a number of Trojans associated with the install. Not sure if they are false positives but worth running a check if you have installed this.

There is a new USB driver available for the VP2 from Silicon Labs. This version (5.0) seems to work much better than 4.4. WD has not hung up since I installed. Mine was hanging everyday previous to this version. Davis told me thay would swap my USB logger for a serial if I continued to have problems with this driver. I’m running Vista Home Premium.

http://www.silabs.com/tgwWebApp/public/web_content/products/Microcontrollers/USB/en/mcu_vcp.htm

This does not appear to be new… Please see:

http://discourse.weather-watch.com/t/27042

Sorry, didn’t see this thread, I posted in another section & a moderator must have moved it over here. Working flawlessly for me, so far. Definitly an improvent over v4.4 for me.

Running solid for 9 days now without a hitch. The new driver is working great for me.

I could not get it stable under Vista, it locked up after one day.

Mine has been running about 100 days straight, without a single error. PC has never even been rebooted, not once in all that time. So it must be machine specific. My Vista is fairly clean, on a dedicated laptop.

i did see a report that it could be things like flourescent light bulbs that cause problems with the usb connection even…which is why replacing the mini USB cable with one with RF chokes at each end has helped out

:lol:
Hi All,
Been running for a week now with the new driver, no blue screen, no dropping the link etc… this is good

Also Running Win XP SP2

:salute: :salute:

Followup

I had problems when ver. 5 first came out blue screen and lockup. I think there was a problem with ver 4 and ver 5 on my machine at the same time. When I installed ver.5 I though it would remove ver.4, it did not. so I removed ver.5 everything worked. This time I removed everthing with device manager for ver.4 and re downloaded ver 5 and installed it. Everthing has been working good for about 60 days. Joe

I also had the USB disconnect/lockup problem. I called Davis and they exchanged my USB with a serial version. Works without a problem.

My machine since running my new Davis has had 3 x BSOD’s

Microsoft Crash Debug analyser says probable cause all three times is silabser.sys which is part of this package.

I have v5.1 and will now try an older version.

EDIT:
Using VPort Beta so will try other version 1.1.2 as it is the program making use of that port before playing with USB drivers.

Automan.

Machine went for about 36hrs and did it again BSOD :frowning:

I am now trying the 4.40 drivers posted on the davisnet website to see if that helps.

Automan.

Personally I am absolutely convinced that my USB lock up problem is caused by electrical interference from something else in the house. My station ( Davis VP2 ) is at a second home and whilst there’s no-one there it works perfectly but I just visited for 5 days and it crashed twice; previous to that it has worked without a hitch since our last major visit in September.

Steve

There are a number of posts on here suggesting the same thing. Have you tried a good USB cable with ferrites on it? (Looks like a snake that had a big lunch.)

Yes, I would say it is electrical interference that is the one of the causes
which explains why some people have a problem and others do not
Someone needs to tell Davis about this.