cloudy

Author Topic: What Makes Clouds Move?  (Read 11359 times)

Offline HoosierGuy

• Indiana
What Makes Clouds Move?
« on: March 13, 2007, 04:32:09 AM »

Ok, today I looked up in the sky and saw lots of clouds.  I started wondering - what exactly was making the clouds move?  Was it the winds in sky pushing them along or are the clouds in a high or low air mass and the whole air mass is moving along carrying the clouds with them?  Or a combination of both? 

Be nice please!  I'm just learning this weather stuff!  :D  So what makes clouds move? 

Offline kray1000

• Roanoke, VA (USA)
    • Roanoke Valley Weather
Re: What Makes Clouds Move?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 11:41:05 AM »
The earth's rotation? :lol:
Kevin Ray

Wireless VP2, Stardot NetCam, ImageSalsa 2.0.12, MovieSalsa, Nexstorm, WASP2, Skymet, VWS, WD 10.37Nb03

Offline AM1234

• Beamsville, Ontario, Canada
    • Beamsville Weather Station
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 12:15:41 PM »
Clouds move because the wind is carrying them along :)
Ann-Marie
Beamsville, Ontario, Canada

Offline niko

• syzygy
  • Global Moderator
  • Crystal Ball broken! Please post the URL.
  • Northern California, U.S.A.
    • http://www.realweatherstation.com
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 02:18:11 PM »
You would probably find USA Today's online weather basics useful. You can find them here.

Or for a starter you can buy a used copy of the USA Today Weather Book (referred to in your other thread) for a few bucks on Alibris
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 02:22:06 PM by niko »

Offline munrobaggins

• 38 mls NE Inverness UK
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 02:49:28 PM »

Ok, today I looked up in the sky and saw lots of clouds.  I started wondering - what exactly was making the clouds move?  Was it the winds in sky pushing them along or are the clouds in a high or low air mass and the whole air mass is moving along carrying the clouds with them?  Or a combination of both? 
  Be nice please!  I'm just learning this weather stuff!  :D  So what makes clouds move? 
There is plenty of info on this site too: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/education/secondary/students/clouds.html and is well worth a read.  :) :)

Offline HoosierGuy

• Indiana
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 03:34:37 PM »

Yeah, I got the USA Today Weather book ordered.

Until then - I got questions!  lol 

Offline sunnyside

• Jessica Alba
  • San Francisco, California, USA
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 06:51:31 PM »
Most people are right... Clouds are carried by the winds. Sometimes clouds at different levels of the atmosphere will move slower or opposite direction form each other. So that is another way to figure out how clouds move. Believe it or not, the best way I learned how clouds moved by winds by overlaying an upper level wind map on satellite and animate how the clouds would move. I found that clouds take the same direction as the wind, depending on what level are the clouds located.

cumulus