Why is it .........

That plumbers have the leaky taps at home…

and builders have the doors that won’t close properly…

and painters have that flakey paint on the front fence that they just haven’t had time to fix up…

and computer techs get their home web servers hacked ! :oops: :redhotevil: ](*,) :error:

Well I learned a couple of things

1. don’t forget to patch Mambo on the home PC too.
  2. do a backup of the dang thing as well.

Luckily all the weather data is in place and it’s just the Mambo installation that got screwed.

Another day - another of life’s little lessons learnt.

I’ll just have to update my site to a “Carter Lake”, oh dear how sad, never mind :wink:

oh shit thats not good Colin.
Yours was one of the best sites too

hmm actually, what is the method to back up mambo/joomla so to be able to restore a complete database easily :oops:

There are several third party add-ons do do this, and I do have a couple of those backups. But the hacker got to a a bunch of the php files requiring me to do a reinstall of Mambo/Joomla. I suspect that there was a security hole that I missed an update for.
For now I have WDL running on the site, hopefully I will get time soon to fix up the rest. It’s hosted at home so I can’t even beat up an ISP #-o

The news is slightly better than I thought. I do have a backup, it’s not recent but it has the important php config files in it. I imagine a few things will be broken, but if I can get the administration pages back up and running it won’t be anything too much.

and I have three packs of Oak flooring in my hallway waiting to be laid for 2 years now… I’m a carpenter :oops:

Woody

And the good news is - after 3 hours work this morning I am back on the air and everything is back where it should be #-o

Only the Mambo files where edited so all the data was still safely in the Mysql DB. It was simply a matter of reinstalling Mambo with a new db name, then dropping that db and renaming the old db to the new db :roll: After that I had to copy back a couple of modules and the template that I was using. Simple :?

Now I have a fully patched version of Mambo (and OS) , and a good backup. Lesson learned. :oops:

Welcome back :wink:

Which was the dodgy version that got attacked and which version are you running now?

Chris, I think the dodgy one was Mambo 4.5.1 and I am now running Mambo 4.5.5. I must get around to trying Joomla some time soon too.

One of the good things about having something like this happening is that it gave me the nudge I needed to do some redesign work on the site. I’ve just added the Broadstairs JPGraph stuff in and now I will also try and amalgamate some of the Carterlake template pages too.