Davis VP2 Anemometer Cable Extention

I am thinking of upgrading my weather station to a Davis wireless vp2, 6152 and am planing the location of the anemometer and ISS. One of my options will require me to extend the anemometer cable about 80 feet. I did some searching and didn’t really find an answer to the following. Sorry if this has been covered.

What is the best cable to use for the extension?
Davis 100’ extension
regular flat 4 wire phone cable (wired straight through)
Cat5. If Cat5, is it best to use 2 pair or use 1 wire from each of the 4 pair?

I have plenty of Cat5 and a crimper for RJ11 plugs. Your comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bill

Bill,

I am using the 40’ Davis anemometer extension cable, and it has worked flawlessly so far. No signal problem when it is pouring rain outside, but it has not been through snow and ice here yet.

Although the 100’ Davis anemometer extension cable is probably a bit pricey, it is worth it and you will have a warranty on it, as well.

Good luck.

–Tim

How about a anemometer transmitter kit, 6332?

If you are familiar with making phone extensions and can be sure you aren’t reversing the connections then I don’t think you’ll have any problem making your own extension. Davis’ regular phone type extension works fine, so although I guess there may be some very small advantage of cat 5 if would be tough to figure out the best way to use the pairs and I doubt it’s worthwhile.

Thanks for the QUICK replies!

Tim, yes a bit pricey. That’s why I was looking at an alternative.

Norcal Dan, on a budget and just trying to justify the new station right now.

Nikoshepherd, thanks for your advise on making my own.

Bill

a new one runs 125 bucks… I have an extra in the closet… A while back mine went bad, had to take the antenna mast down, the guy wires, etc… ordered a new one while the other one was in the shop. Anyway it is interchangable with the vp2…

When you make a splice, it is 4 wires and be sure to match the wires exactly , color to color. the yellow one especially. I think it is either the direction or speed…

aardvark, thanks for the wiring advise. From what I read on the davis website the original vantage pro anemometer transmitter is not interchangable with the vp2. Appreciate your time.

Bill

Really? Do you have a URL for that?

Nikoshepherd, here’s the link.

http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=06332

:oops:, soory, I misread your post as saying the anemometer itself is different,

Ok Bill. I mentioned the transmitter as it allows easier installation, and, sometimes a better choice of mounting location. I went wireless so I would have the freedom to mount the sensors in the best location rather than having cable length dictate where I could put the sensors.

Telephone cord will work but any splice points must be waterproof, especially if you use the modular plugs. Davis includes wire housings with their extension cables, but I found they leaked. Better to have one long wire run then try to splice pieces together.

the transmitters are not interchangable is correct, but the actual anemometer itself is. I tried to peg them down and ask if the frequency range “hopped” in the same frequency as the other transmitters but said it wouldn’t work. However the sensor it self is same … the actual anenometer…

anyway, got this letter below from them.
Hello,

[i]If you have the latest design Temp/Hum Station, it has the same temp/hum sensor as used in the ISS.

The VP1 will not interfere with the VP2.the VP2 uses a spread spectrum radio which uses multiple frequencies between 902Mhz to 928Mhz. If a few frequencies are interferred with, it won’t really impact reception that much.

Typical range on a VP2 is 200’ to 400’ with up to 1000’ under optimal conditions. Repeaters are available although you probably won’t need one.

I know of know changes in the VP2 line in the near future. This is a very successful product and I anticipate it will have a long life span.Larry Smith
510-732-7814
[/i]

Norcal Dan, thanks for the wiring help. You have made me think a bit more on the anemometer transmitter since I have buy some pvc pipe, wire, etc and bury it. I see the transmitter sells for $105 @ provantage so I will add up all the wiring costs and compare it to the cost of the transmitter.

aardvark, sorry guess I misunderstood. Thought you were referring to the transmitter not the anemometer itself.

Bill