1-wire usb on linux

I ordered my 1-wire weather station (that hasn’t arrived yet though) with USB adapter, since I plan to use it on my AMD X2 4200 machine that doesn’t have any free serial ports (but loads of USB). But yesterday when I browsed through my old computers I found a 350MHz Pentium 2 with 192GB memory that I think would run WD good enough on Linux. I have seen notes here that Linux+WD+USB isn’t really a working combination. Could someone please confirm if this is true? If it is, I just have to get a serial 1-wire adapter too since the other computers I have all have serial ports too.

Also, it’s a couple years since I had my last Linux computer so I’m not sure what version to choose. I have heard a lot of good things about Debian, and the “little brother” ubuntu looks interesting. And I suppose Mandrake has evolved a bit since I tried it :slight_smile: Slackware, Red Hat, …,
So many different brands and versions! #-o

Niclas, now hungry and going to make tacos :lol:

Mandriva 2006 formerly Mandrake has improved alot But Has far has I know 1 wire is not available for the Linux version yet.
Coyote

if you run OWFS program on linux, which makes the data available as a URL, then WD can work with that now, but I need to finish that off,i.e windspeed/direction/rain/barometer with someone to work with me on that…the last person said they could not offord to purchase WD and so no more progress was made

Noticed the hard disk in the old computer had some errors when trying to install Ubuntu so I have to check the other old ones for another disk. Anyway, OWFS sounds like something worth trying so I will check that out tomorrow. Luckily I still have some time before I get my station so I can try different things. When the station arrives I want to know what I can and can’t do and just get it up and running as soon as possible :slight_smile:

Niclas

Learn Something :smiley:
Coyote

see in the client/server setup, scroll down…

Very nice!
Even if I already use METAR download to get some data while testing WD out without having my own station, I completely missed the client/server setup options :slight_smile:

I find so many new functions every day, it makes my head spin :lol: You really have top flexibility with this program!

Niclas

You haven’t put that in the Linux version yet saw it in the Windows version. Like I was saying learned something new
Coyote

Now have ubuntu running on the P2-350MHz with 192MB ram, and also OWFS/Mydsl running on a celeron-333 with 64MB of ram, and both run pretty well. Haven’t tried installing WD on ubuntu yet, and since I don’t have any 1-wire equipment yet it’s hard to say how well OWFS runs when it has to do something :slight_smile: But so far I have had a nice day :smiley:

Niclas

hi
once i get it finished in the windows version, i will put it in the linux version
(i can use someone elses OWFS setup to test you see)

Not to hijack thread. I been wanting to tell you Weatherdisplay linux doesn’t produce the altimerecords png. Any chance to can get around to that.
Coyote

not sure why it does not
the code is correct
does month and year get updated OK?
is the actual file creation date changing?

actualy i might have found the problem
uploading a new zip now

I Dloaded it still no All time records or Month to date. I have everything ticked. When I get led light for record it show but nothing Forthe webfiles. The Barometer seems to be working without any problems.
Coyote :slight_smile:

is the png file actualy being updated?
for the barometer, are you getting the 1 minute update occuring now?
(tick that on in the weather station type setup)
and for the new aprs altimeter, you need to enable that in the cwop setup
and for the fix for the all time records creation, you need 5.5e, from the zip url

I am getting the 1 minute update now.Its working good
5.5 E hasn’t been uploaded yet? Its still 5.5 d In the file download I downloaded that one
Coyote

I found it sometimes I can’t see forest for the trees LOL I’ll report back
Coyote :smiley:

i have not changed the name yet on the download,but its there… :wink:

It still not creating the alltimerecords.png and alltimerecordsmonth.png A blue screen popups like its trying to create it. in 5.5e
Coyote :wink: