Anything Weather and CWOP

Is anyone aware that Anything weather is using our CWOP data as their own and selling sponser space on it? This is the way I see it. I wondered what those other settings were in the control panel and browsed to Anything weather. Well there was my CWOP data posted like it was from someone else. Heck I don’t mind if I agree to share my data on another web site like WU or CWOP but I didn’t get to say boo about this site’s use of my data. I sent them a email but I doubt they will reply. Next email is to CWOP to see if they approved this!

Interested in hearing if your site is there too.

http://www.anythingweather.com/current.aspx?id=11933 my data

I’m not sure that CWOP can approve or disapprove. Your data is sent to CWOP via the APRSWxNet system which is open to the public and I’m not aware of any limitations that are (or could be) placed on that data stream. I don’t think the protocol in use has a field in it that says anything about the copyright of individual data packets or who can use them, so to me it’s freely available data (as long as you’re prepared to hook into the data stream and decode it for yourself).

Mine is BUT I have AnythingWeather setup to submit data to:
http://anythingweather.com/current.aspx?id=14746

As far as I know CWOP data is public domain as they provide it to NOAA which would then by association be public data?

-Bob

And?

You’re providing your data to the public… that means anybody can use it.

Anythingweather.com is interesting but do you know anybody who uses it?

I’ve been word of mouthing Weather Underground for years. I love them and they’re very supportive of us little guys.

Pass it on. :wink:

I was wondering how my station information was getting to anythingweather, and now I know :smiley: and knowing is half the battle. I would have to agree with Carterlake, we are providing our data to the public so I suppose it’s no big deal. Personally I like my weather site and Weather Underground much better.

just my .02

I know one person who uses AW.com :wink: