1-wire rain gauge not registering a tip.

Are all settings and configurations still in place after a re-install?

yes, as always

Did the re-install as suggested by Brian but still getting only two directions from the 1-wire ads Anemometer.

Update to the rain gauge problem is im not getting a "No rain device error"in the 1-wire reader software but no tips are registering. #-o

you could use a multimeter to test if the reed switch is actually being closed by the magnet

I did what you suggested but there was no reaction from the tester. It just continually shows 1 on the screen but tips were registering in the 1-wire viewer software. When i remove the continuity tester and manually tip the gauge no tips register. No sure what it all means but i guess it shows the counter is working to a certain extent. What to do next?

but tips were registering in the 1-wire viewer software
is that the maxim one you mean?

with WD’s 1 wire program it might be that you need to change the page counter option (14 or 15)

No in the dallas 1-wirereader in WD. Changed the page counter but didn’t fix the problem.
I haven’t tried anything in the Maxim software yet as i was trying to get WD back where it was before i installed the maxim 1-wire reader. Still ongoing issues with wind direction.

so you are saying that WD’s 1 wire program was registering the tips?
(its all very confusing)

Yes but only when i was doing the continuity test, i had one wire of the multimeter touching 5v and the other to B on the counter (Eric from Hobby Boards suggested i do this) When these were removed i manually tip the gauge and no tips register.

To clarify i have never used the Maxim 1-wire software for testing.

so that points to a hardware problem with your rain gauge
either the reed switch is not working correctly or the magnet is not strong enough or similar

Agree 100%. I would bet on the reed having gone bad, from what I recall of my rainwise I don’t think there is much possibility for the magnet to move.

A new reed switch it is so. Will contact Eric from HB and get the part number and try and source it online. I presume its just a case of unsoldering the switch and replacing with new of same? Cheers Brian and Niko.

With regards my other issue with wind direction on the ADS just showing 2 positions, i have re-installed WD but this has not fixed the problem. I can see in the 1-wireviewer software in WD that voltages are changing to more than two values but the reported direction is still either 315 or 135 degrees. Any ideas?

any reed switch of the same size will do I would have presumed

re the wind direction voltages…the problem will be they are not what is expected

Would installing the Maxim 1-wire drivers cause the voltages to be wrong as before i did this i had no problems?

Try Eric, maybe he will have one for you, or Rainwise, they are helpful in my experience. If not, no problem, the reed is a generic part available from a lot of sources, if you measure and tell me how long the glass capsule is I can find one for you.

I think you’ll need to bend the leads to get it into the board. It’s important to be careful not to bend the leads close to the glass capsule, hold the lead with needle nose pliers between the capsule and the point where you bend it to avoid damage.

Niko, the glass capsule is 15mm

Cheers

Edit: Would this one do http://ie.farnell.com/comus/ri-23a/reed-switch-spst-15mm/dp/1081699
Or this which is in stock http://ie.farnell.com/hamlin/mlrr-4-17-38/reed-switch-spst/dp/1653422

Would installing the Maxim 1-wire drivers cause the voltages to be wrong as before i did this i had no problems?
could have try searching for all the 1 wire ib *..dll files and use only those that come with the WD full install on your system

Yep, that’s what you need “SPST-NO” 15mm

Watch out for minimum order though. Do you have Maplin or similar in IE?

I had a search is my windows folder and i found 10 files starting with ib, All the files are from Maxim according to “Company” when you mouse over the files.
Would the files installed by WD still have that Maxim info when mousing over them?

I found Farnell to be very fast to deliver and they do take small orders as i got a few solar sensor diodes from them recently. I can see it being tricky to solder though. I always find it hard to remove small components and leave the holes clear. Any tips?